At 12:12pm -0400 Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Michael Meeks wrote:
On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 10:48 -0400, Kevin Hunter wrote:
The short answer is no, I'm not scared of "all future versions",
but on principal, I will not blindly trust a document that I (no
one!) have yet to see.

Fair enough :-) We're still thinking this through I guess. How would
you feel about The Document Foundation (as/when it exists) being your
'proxy' for future versions ?

It's not perfect, but I have to draw the pragmatic line somewhere, don't I? Yes, in it's current iteration and existence, I would be willing to assign the Document Foundation as my proxy for 'future versions'. I realize that this is effectively code assignment, but feels more semantically "the right thing do" than does the "all future versions" route.

As an aside, I generally find it difficult to know when to be pedantic about semantics (and I believe that there /is/ a time to be pedantic).

Ultimately of course - if you think GPLv4 will remove freedoms, the
question is why anyone would switch from GPLv3 ;-) I assume you're
more inclined to be worried about removing restrictions in a way that
might impact freedom (?).

Right on, and that's perhaps one of the defining differences between the GPL and the MPL, yes? The GPL binds the /licensees/ whereas the MPL /releases the right to *all* licensees/. I am eventually and always worried about the interplay of freedom and restriction (which are not necessarily mutually exclusive). You get from where I'm coming, I think.

In the shorter term, if that does not work for the LO project, let
me point out that I am hardly a major contributor.

Sure, sure - but we would love you to become one :-) I still tend to
(for all its faults) think that a plus license has some real strengths
for future re-licensing.

:-) Convince me! I clearly am missing a large detail given that so many projects have used the "and any later version" clause since at least GPLv2 (when I came in).

Cheers,

Kevin