I guess you did emerge rpm....

I had a problem with rpm, where the current 'stable' rpm (4.4.6-r7) in
portage would segfault... I unmask th ~amd64 and got the 4.8.1
ebuild... that would pass the point where rpm segfault.. but then
failed later on yet unknown reasons.
I removed /var/lib/rpm,  emerged -C rpm, and re-emerged the 'stable'
rpm... and that seems to have 'solved' it.

Norbert