[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[libreoffice-design] Redesign the Language selection UI.
- Subject: [libreoffice-design] Redesign the Language selection UI.
- From: jonathon <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 05:59:41 +0000
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently ">Tools >Language Settings >Langauge >Default Language For
* 250 options for Western;
* 8 options for CJKV;
* 44 options for Complex Text Layout;
A couple of points to note:
* Of the 100 most spoken languages, 39 do not have a LibO locale;
* ISO 639-1 lists 189 languages;
* Ethnologue (2017) claims 7,097 living languages;
* Wycliffe Global Alliance claims that the Bible has been translated, in
whole, or in part, into 3,350 languages. (^1)
* 401 languages have more than 1,000,000 speakers;
* 1,762 languages have less than 1,000 speakers;
* ISO 15924 lists 248 writing systems;
* Microsoft Windows 8 is available in 109 language locales;
* Microsoft 8.1 enables one to input text in more than 7,000 languages
* Microsoft Office 2016 (Windows) claims 91 languages for the UI;
* Microsoft Offive for the Mac 27 languages for the UI;
* Microsoft Office Online claims 97 langauges for the UI;
All of which is a round about way of saying that real soon now, more
locales will need to be added to LibO.
For all of the above data, I have a document that shows LibO compares.
(Would this document be worth throwing in with LibO Documentation?)
The theoretical worst case scenario, is that LibO has to support every
possible combination of language, writing system, and country, for a
theoretical grand total of 440,014,000 listings.
FWIW, I place the absolute upper boundary of listings at 4,000,000.
The practical upper limit is 16,000 listings;
The likely upper limit is 9,000 listings;
The most probable upper limit is 4,000 listings;
IOW, with barely 300 listings, LibO has a long way to go.
However, even at 300 listings, the UI, is, shall we say, awkward.
I've noted a couple of grumbles in the forums, and mailing lists, about
"too many listings", "why another listing, when nobody uses the ones
that are currently available", etc.
The challenge is to design the language-selection UI that can select
language, country, writing system, that remains as simple to use with
300 listings, as it does with 4,000,000 listings.
I've drawn, and rejected half a dozen possibilites, on the grounds that
they are not as simple to use, as the current method.
^1: For all practical purposes, this figure equals the number of
langauges that have been reduced to a writing system.
To unsubscribe e-mail to: email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/
|Re: [libreoffice-design] Redesign the Language selection UI.||Heiko Tietze <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
- Prev by Date: [libreoffice-design] Minutes from the UX/design meeting 2018-Dec-20
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-design] Redesign the Language selection UI.
- Previous by thread: [libreoffice-design] Minutes from the UX/design meeting 2018-Dec-20
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-design] Redesign the Language selection UI.