Gustavo, it seems that what you're saying is that the _reality_ is a bit "boring" - a long sequence of minor releases without a fundamental/breakthrough change; and there is a desire to make it more interesting/exciting using a major version bump.

That is exactly what I'm opposing. Let's assume that the real situation is "boring" (I'm not sure that's the case, but still) and that, indeed, the changes since 7 are not fundamental enough to merit a version bump on their own (and I realize this is not in consensus either). In this state of affairs, evoking artificial interest in a new major version without substance behind it is a _marketing trick_, a psychological manipulation. One could even say it's mis-informing our users. It hurts user trust. Sure, it's not terrible to play with version numbers, but - I don't think that's something our users, current and potential, would like us to do.

"I guess the message of this version could be consolidation" - but what is consolidated about the code right now as opposed to 7.5 ?

Remember also, that as time progresses - an office suite's rate of change decreases. It is to be expected that major versions become farther between, and the release cycle becomes more "boring". Your reasoning, and this fact, combine to result in major version number inflation, which is the other thing I was cautioning about.

Eyal