Hi All,

Thanks for coming up with this topic, Heiko. The idea came to my mind after
the discussion about a dialogue about the different UI / notebookbar
implementations, where we discuss reducing the notebookbar implementations,
... I work very long on the different notebookbars and had always in mind
to find a good solution for users AND developers. Which means that if there
was a bug I made compromises cause there was no developer available, ... In
the end nobody knows what to do with all this work. So I think it would be
way more useful to make some targets and work on them instead of doing
whatever you want and in the end nobody wants it.

My general ideas for goals for a 2 year plan are:
- find general UI solutions (HIG's) where ALL community members will work
on.
- define targets (meta bugs) where developers and designers will work on.
- reduce different UI layouts to simplify the UI.

Some more specific goals:
- define the UI for desktop, mobile, tablet and web (LOOL) so that we have
a unify "brand/layout"
- have one theming engine for the different platforms which fit mobile,
desktop, online, color scheme, ...

I'm happy to work on any goal doesn't matter if it's from community, CIB,
Colabora, ...

cheers
Andreas_K

Am Fr., 14. Aug. 2020 um 16:54 Uhr schrieb Csongor Halmai <csongor@halmai.hu
:

Hi All,

I don't know too much (khm. I don't know anything:)) about the internal
structure of the LO code base. But the question is what I would like
to see in 2 years so, if you don't mind, I let me go crazy and come up
with wild ideas, regardless of how easy they are to implement.

I think it is a waste of the developer resources to redesign the user
interface every fifth year, when the fashion changes. What did work
very well in the past, is the add-on system of Firefox. I would like to
see something similar in LibreOffice.

(I am talking about the first version of the FF addons, when there was a
lot of freedom, not the newer model, when a lot of nice old addons
don't work anymore.)

It would be great if there was a separate code base in LO which
manipulates the document itself and a sharply separated other one which is
responsible for the UI. They should communicate on an interface which
makes it possible to write UI add-ons for LibreOffice in
easier-to-learn programming languages, for example Python and/or
JavaScript, not just C/C++/

In that case, the community would win a lot of competing UIs from
enthusiastic developers and some of them would be really good. People, who
are experts of UIs but don't necessarily want to learn the deep secrets of
the LO code base, would be able to make their on add-ons, like
thousands of Firefox add-ons made the browser really popular.

After this structural change, people who know LO deeper, can focus on new
functions, performance improvements, better compatibility and
other useful things while people, who want to make spectacular UI, can
focus on just the UI, without knowing too much about the internal
parts of LO.

There would always be one or two official UI packages which offers an
acceptable balance between functionality, beauty and used resouces but
people could choose 3rd party UI add-ons freely, from a LibeOffice add-on
store.

Disclaimer: I am writing this idea without having any clue what the
current structure of the code base is and how complicated this change
would be. Take this just as it is. As an idea which can be ignored if it
is totally useless. :)

Cheers,

Csongor