Hi JBF,

On 06/11/2015 10:18 AM, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
Hi Jay, all,

Le 10/06/2015 22:39, Jay Philips a écrit :
[...]
Wikis are not WYSIWYG and hard to edit. You cant format a wiki similar
to a document.

You can use the Mediawiki extension to write your document in
LibreOffice and push it to the wiki.

Yes i'm aware of the mediawiki extension and its does make it easy to export to a wiki, but i doesnt make it easy to manage one (e.g. no import option).

You dont have commenting and track changes.

Error: with a wiki you have a complete history of each change since the
creation of the document.
Additionally you have a discussion page to comment.

When i was referring to track changes and commenting, i'm referring to how it is implemented in a word processor. Yes wikis provide history of edits, but that is not track changes, where you have an easy option to accept or reject individual changes. Wikis also provide a discussion page where people can comment, but that is a separate page from the wiki page and not integrated into the wiki page like how comments are. Wikis are not easy for collaboration and are more suited for individuals to make individual changes that continuously improve a page. Wikis also have a barrier of entry because edits happen in markdown which doesnt happen when you deal with a WYSIWYG word processor.

Likely when the document is fully finished, it would be published to the wiki,
similar to how we are doing with the HIG.

And you will lost the complete history of the document. That is a very
important information and it is a bad idea to rely on Google to keep the
memory of the LibreOffice community. The data of the LibreOffice project
must be stored on TDF servers not elsewhere. The "working in progress"
documents are project data and must be stored on TDF servers.

I'm writing a document on Google Docs that i previously would write on my computer, but writing it locally means that it could get lost and its difficult to share and collaborate on. The history of the document isnt important as its my personal thoughts and research on how impress can be improved and i'm looking for comments from others who may disagree with my thoughts or have suggestions of their own that they'd want to include it in the document.

My time is finite and i used Google Docs as it is a simple tool for the type of document i want to create and collaborate on. I have provided you and others with a means of reading and commenting on the document without dealing with Google services and hope that you will utilize it.

Best regards.
JBF

Jay