Am Mar 15, 2015 11:13:12 AM, schrieb Björn Balazs:
Well I would have users choose the type of service (WebDAV / ownCloud / ...)
beforehand and then in a next step show the configuration. If you do not do it
this way - as configuration for different services is differently complex -
either the size of the dialogue changes depending on the selected service or
there will be lots of white space (e.g. in Google Drive configuration).

As this is about configuring (aka rarely used) I think the additional click
required would overall be beneficial. Next to benefits in dialogue design,
splitting steps would help users to concentrate on their actual task (1.
select target, 2. configure it).

Good point. Right now the dialog resizes itself. But not that heavily since CMIS subtypes (which we
want to up-level) are treated all the same. This leads to the fact that Google Drive gets a
'repository' entry (with no functionality), a 'binding url' (containing the fix link), and a 'path'
(no relevance).
So we have three options:
a1) introduce a wizard-like workflow, as you suggesta2) we can also make the type selection as a
required step when a server is being added; that means the add menu button lists all types and you
have to select which one you would like to add. This means also that we have to care about the
additonal functionality to edit and delete a service.
b) have a lot of white space in some casesc) resize the dialog depending on the type