On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Stefan Knorr <heinzlesspam@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Robinson, all,

I need to show up with a list of tasks for users to perform (about
15-30 min worth). I've a few ideas off the top of my head, including
testing the sidebar, but I'd be grateful for additional input.

Sounds awesome. Will it be possible to get video footage of users?

Sounds like no setup for video this time, but perhaps we can work-up a
'UX-test' kit that would include tools for capturing audio/video, kind
of like the conference kits.

(Two notes:
please get some data on the users (age, sex, computer usage habits)

Yep, we've included those q's into the survey.

+
make sure users explain what they are doing and thinking all the time.)

Yeah, video with audio would great for that. I could try just running
audacity/gnome-sound-recorder on the machine and ask them to speak
aloud... :-)

Some ideas ...
* Start center:
  * On a fresh installation, ask if they are confused by the whitespace on the
    right side

For testing, I might just wipe the user-dir.

  * Ask users what they would expect behind the Extensions button
    (before clicking it of course)(see also bug 75563) (Do users understand what
    extensions are?)
  * Ask users to create a new spreadsheet, a new presentation

* Writer: styles:
  * Ask users if they understand what a style is (and if they're using the
    functionality)
  * Ask users to write two paragraphs of random text
  * Ask users to create a paragraph and a character style
  * Ask users to apply these styles to one of the paragraphs
  * Ask users to reset styles

* Writer: auto-generated tables:
  * Ask users to create a document with headings etc. (or maybe provide one,
    to make it quicker)
  * Ask users to create a table of contents
  * Ask users to change a heading and make sure the table is in sync

* Writer: page number:
  * Ask users to insert a page number in the format "Page n of m" into the
    footer of a document

I like this one: It can be performed pretty quickly if you know the
process, but should provide some interesting data for those people who
have to work to figure it out (where do they go in the GUI? etc..).

* Writer: Working with templates
  -- though I am not sure if the template manager is in good enough shape for
   this (there are very obvious pain points), so no proposal what to do here
   yet.

* Calc: conditional formatting:
  * Have they ever used it? Do they understand what it is?
  * Apply a colour bar to a range of cells
  * etc.

Thanks,
--R