Hi mirek, all

mirek2 wrote
I hope most of the suggestions in my message aren't controversial, though.
(At least, it seems so by the lack of responses here.)
Except the one about the capitalization of the "Create" label -- let's
keep
it capitalized as it is now (so not all-caps).

In my opinion

1) "Create" should use the same font *size and case* as the two other
options "Open" and "Template".
See https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:89328.jpg

2) The third option should also be an *action*. "Create" and "Open" are
actions/verbs. The third option should also start with an action/verb. My
suggestion is "Use  Template" (to avoid repeating the verb create, which is
in reality what the user is doing: creating a new document from a template)

3) Repeating "New" is redundant. In fact you can not Create something that
is not New :)

4) I agree that associating the file type with the application is a good
thing: Writer Text, Calc Spreadsheet, etc

Just my 4 cents :)