Moving conversation form ux-advise:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Libreoffice-ux-advise-GSoC-Refreshed-Android-Impress-Remote-td4060618.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Artur Dryomov <artur.dryomov@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote
To: "Mirek M." <mazelm@gmail.com>

Hi Mirek,

First of all — what are your impressions after using the new version? Of
course it is buggy ;-) Your huge list made me pessimistic a bit so it would
be great to know how bad things are.

1) When the app can't find any connections, it just shows a loading
wheel. The user can't be sure whether the app is stuck or just searching
for connections.

It is what Android apps do when content is loading and it is a default
behavior. Even more — no signs should be used [1].

2) It might be helpful to tell the user how to connect, especially with
the wifi connection.

I thought about adding help page with all information and make its call an
action bar item at the home screen. I am not a big fan of adding welcome
screens but help seems to be reasonable.

3) What does the "Add Computer" button actually do? Is it for manually
adding a computer when the automatic detection fails? Is it wifi-only? (If
so, it should only appear on the WiFi tab.) This should be made clearer.

It was declared it in my proposal ;-) I even added a sign at adding screen
with text “WiFi connection” but it looked messy. OK, this button will be
shown only for WiFi tab.

4) Rotating the device when on the code screen shouldn't cause a loading
wheel to appear.

Do you mean short appearance or the wheel shows for a long time? If you
caught a second scenario it is really bad and unexpected :-?

5) The animation between the slide view and the overview takes too long.

Maybe it is better to remove it completely?

6) When accidentally exiting, reconnecting should be immediate.

Can you give more detailed explanation of the scenario?

7) I couldn't figure out how to set the timer.

Well, if you are using tablet there should be an icon at the action bar
with a clock on it. Or — if there is no room — it becomes hidden at the
overflow menu (vertical dots). Choose a menu, set time and press “Start”.
That’s it.

8) Choosing a slide from the overview should automatically enter the
Slide view at that slide.

I don’t think it fits for all users. Maybe someone wants to switch slides
this way or show a slide from the beginning and then some slide for the end
:-?

9) If the presentation is not in Slide Show mode on the computer, the
device should say so. In this case, it shouldn't show the Overview button
and the action bar should read the name of the computer on which
LibreOffice runs.

The previous version did that on a separate screen. I’m not sure about your
opinion actually. The client requires pairing, pairing requires setting PIN
on the computer and this operation requires user to enter the pin on the
computer. I mean — if user connects to computer he is already nearby it and
probably wants to start a slide show. Am I wrong?

10) The slide size in the overview should be maximized.

Can you attach a screenshot and mark a desirable size on it? It looks just
fit on a phone :-?

11) Slides should occupy as much of the screen as possible. The shadow
should surround to slide.

Slides already occupy everything is possible — minus notes of course —
keeping aspect ratio.

The shadow is a complicated thing. I didn’t expect that its implementation
would be hard but I spent two days on that and failed. Basically the slide
show previews are shown in a ViewPager widget. Its size is dynamic. Inner
views — previews — fit the parent layout. So I cannot draw a border because
it will be expanded to the ViewPager and it looks not like it should be. I
can try again but I spent a lot of time on different solutions with no luck.

12) Tapping a slide should make the slide bounce a bit to the left and
reveal a sliver of the next slide, to indicate that one should slide to
move to the next slide, not tap.

I’ll think about it.

13) If the slide advances on screen (not by using the remote, e.g. by
mouse click or right/left arrows), it should advance on the remote as well.

Done.

14) Please highlight the current slide in the slide overview.

Will be done, I’m just looking for a solution. Such things are surprisingly
complicated on Android :-?

15) I wonder if the "spread out from center" animation when entering a
subscreen is avoidable. A slide-in animation from the right would be
preferable, given that the up button points left, indicating that the
parent is on the left.

If you mean animations between screens — it is just system animation.
Actually animation you mean was at Android 2.1 and was removed at 2.3. I
don’t know why — it was really great.

16) Some of the wording could be shorter. [1] "Name is optional" is
preferable to "Name is optional -- IP address would be used instead if you
wish." and the label should appear left-aligned right below the Name field,
to show that it's related.

What do you think if I’ll replace a hint message “Name” with “Name
(optional)” or “Name — optional”?

Try "Type in a valid IP address." instead of "You should type a valid IP
address."

Will be done.

Is the ability to use the volume buttons to advance slides gone? I can't
find it anywhere... The same for blank screens.
I couldn't get Notes to appear. Also, rotating the device in presentation
mode does nothing/causes a crash. And Bluetooth didn't work for me.
So all of these things I couldn't test.

Yep, volume keys support as well as blank screen is not implemented yet.

It is strange that you didn’t get notes. Can you send me a slide show you
tested on?

Crashes are normal, it is something like alpha version ;-)

Is there Bluetooth support on your tablet? Or there was just an infinite
wheel while searching?

Waiting for your reply!

Thanks again,
Artur.