Hi Ahmad,

2013/6/12 Ahmad Hussein Al-Harthi <aalharthi@kacst.edu.sa>

Hello everyone,

I've submitted a template for a suggested default style to replace the
current one.

Please download it and tell me your thoughts/opinions.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/d/da/Serif_template.ott

Thanks for the proposal!

I like the increased paragraph spacing, but the smaller type size seems
less legible for me. 12pt font is easier to see and more comfortable to
read in a single-column layout. [1]
Captions, on the other hand, could be smaller, as they complement the
content, and could use less line spacing, to be visually closer to the
content.
The subtitle could be closer to the title for the same reason.
Heading 7 could use some differentiation from the other headings. The sans
serif font was enough differentiation in the old template. I would prefer
it if headings used a sans serif font. I really like what Google Docs does:
it uses gray for the later titles, so that they stand out.

In any case, I started a whiteboard for this:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Default_Template .
It'd be good to establish the typographical rules people should keep in
mind when designing the new template and to add some relevant art (e.g.
default templates in other software) before moving onto the proposal phase.

[1] Paragraphs should fit somewhere between two to three alphabets per
line:
http://markboulton.co.uk/journal/five-simple-steps-to-better-typography