Hi everyone,
You may have noticed that we're working on a color picker design [1]. One
problem we've come across is how to present scroll bars in the popover.
They can't suddenly appear and change the width of the popover, as if the
popover is situated on the right, it would cause items to shift when
switching from a category that doesn't require a scroll bar to one that
does.
We've come up with several possible solutions, pictured at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/8/84/C-picker.png:
1) make the color tiles smaller to fit a scrollbar
2) have a persistent scrollbar area
3) have a scrollbar narrow enough to fit (this would require implementing a
Unity-like scrollbar in order for it to work for all users, which is
probably out of the question)
4) have a narrow position indicator and separate buttons for navigation

We have democratically selected solution 2 for now, but we're not entirely
happy with it.
If you have any other proposals or would like to voice your support for any
of the proposals, please let us know.
If nobody responds until the next IRC chat, we're opting for solution 2.

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Color_Picker