On 2012-07-08 19:26, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
if the original file is untitled.xxx, backup copy can be save in
untitled.xxx.odx
where xxx is the standard extension name for different open document file
format. (odf,odp,odt,odg,odb,ods)
example backup filename, Untitled 1.odt.odx
But especially if the original document loaded into LO was not in an
ODF format, that would not be a backup *copy* in any real sense. If we
want this "create a backup copy" feature, surely the original document
file should be saved *as is*, bit-for-bit identical (i.e. probably the
original file just renamed), without going through
import-from-whatever and export-to-ODF filters.

--tml

Agreed, copy before opening it with LO. Then poses more questions about subsequent file access and backups (one every time you open the file or reset the tick box each backup, overwrite last backup or new...). Too many questions for me, I disable backup and do my own so I know what is going on.
Steve