Am Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012, 02:00:15 schrieb Stefan Knorr:
Hi Björn,

Do we actually have different Icon styles, we ship by default? (as you are
referring to the Tango Icons).

Depending on who built your LibreOffice package you will find just one
(and can install the others later on) or you will find many – Ubuntu for
instance ships only Human by default. However, you should be able to
install the others, their Ubuntu package names e.g. start with
libreoffice-style-*.
On Windows and Mac, the official builds should ship with all the icon
sets.
You can switch between them from within Tools - Options... - LibreOffice
- View - Icon size and style.
It's a big problem though that our themes are incredibly unwieldy (~4000
images per theme, badly organised) and that none of the themes is
actually complete, not even Ooo's Galaxy theme.

I really wasn't aware of that. So we probably first should think about which
Icon theme we are testing, then picking the icons... :)

So: Galaxy? As it is the default theme?

* the "Save" icon (diskettes, cabinets, hard drives ... do users find
this confusing?)

Experience shows this working for some reasons - but testing it is ok!

Because it always appears together the hardly changing new document /
open document icons..?
(Eventually, as everyone moves away from folders though, we might have
to adapt the Open document icon though... they seem to increasingly be
replaced by timelines/tags/nothing and people will be increasingly
unfamiliar with folders, even though these likely won't ever go away
completely.)

No, because the icons loose their initial meaning and become a learned symbol.
I am really in doubt if it makes sense to modify the metaphor to use something
different in these cases. There are tons of examples in the same class (who
uses shiny metal containers for a database nowadays?)

* the metaphor of the "Format paintbrush"
* "Crop" (present only in Impress/Draw) – we use a scissors for that,
but that is already used to signify "Cut", Adobe products use stylised
versions of some sort of old-fashioned photo cropping rulers, GIMP
uses a simple cutter knife – what do users like better?

However, none of these are to be found in the same group, yet, if we
take the group that sits around them usually ... we probably already
have what you say is a good amount.

That definitely is a good idea. This would provide us with a good set of
icons.

I cannot find you in the LibreOffice team on userweave - can I help you in
anyway there?

Sorry, no, haven't registered yet.

Would be happy to see you there :) - I will definitely need help on this
journey :)

Björn
--
www.OpenUsability.org