Hi Björn, hi Mirek!

I had to make up my mind concerning this thread and also the article
that was originally referred to. So here is what I'm thinking about ...

Am Mittwoch, den 06.06.2012, 20:45 +0200 schrieb Björn Balazs:
Am Mittwoch, 6. Juni 2012, 19:46:09 schrieb Mirek M.:
[...]
"Developers encountering these keywords likely won't have any additional
interface design training, so it is important that each heuristic is very
clearly defined with specific examples and detailed explanations.
Additionally, allowing developers to view all of the bugs in the software
marked as the same type of issue, both current and resolved, serves as an
effective way for them to further learn about the heuristic."

Therefor I understand these principles as guidelines for developers to become
aware of UX, perhaps learn a tiny bit. Opposite I do understand something like
the design ethos as rules for us - experienced designers and UX professionals.
So, I think the sugested rules are good for teaching developers, but I think
this is not what we want to do - ?questionmark?

I understand it the same way - and I found another thing a bit strange.
The article is called "Quantifying Usability" although it deals with
"heuristic evaluations". The aim of those evaluations is usually to
detect interaction design issues - but not to let users rate / quantify
those issues (having statistically relevant information). So, where is
the "quantification"?

In the given case, interaction experts (not users) do tag the issues
using their level of experience and (domain) knowledge. So finally, you
can generate a nice statistic of known issues within your system - maybe
that also helps within the project to address the most important (here:
highest number) of issues in advance.

But that doesn't solve the issue what it really means if a dialog
violates e.g. "ux-minimalism" - you need to know the users
characteristics and their tasks. So for a complex product like
LibreOffice (assuming that its okay that it supports a variety of
tasks), some users may find a dialog overwhelming whilst other users may
miss lots of information. The question is - which main target group will
make use of this dialog ...

So yes, these characteristics might guide us - but you cannot apply
these to serve as strict rules. You may see this in other places as
well, e.g.:
a) Ten Usability Heuristics
http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html

b) ISO 9241-110 Dialogue Principles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9241#ISO_9241-110

By the way, the linked descriptions fit a bit better from my
point-of-view.