2012/5/18 Björn Balazs <b@lazs.de>

Hi all,

I think we can do much better with this and I want to take the chance to
show
you quickly how a more structured appoach to desgin using artifacts might
help. I only do rough outlines of the artifacts to get the point.

### Vison
We will support presenters to impress their audience with their talks by
providing a small screen touchinterface to control their visiual
presentation.

### Restrictions
Target device / OS:
- android smartphone
- any minimal or maximum sreen suport?

### Persnas
[P1] Nelly, 28, Phd-Student in social sciences. Used to tdo presentations,
but
still a little stressed when she has to talk. Works with LibreOffice.

### Situationas
[SI1] Preparing a presentation
[SI2] Giving a presentaion

### Restrictions
[R1]: own or ownknown Presentation computer
[R2]: own or ownknown presentation device
[R3]: stable or instable connection between comupter and device
(I wont use the restriction later on, you could challenge each storyboard
with
them)

### Storyboards / Goals
[SB1]: [P1] in [SI1]: Tomorrow Nelly has to present her thesis. She will
use a
presentation and has made a lot of notes. She is already a bit nervous, but
everything is well prepared, so all she wants now is to sleep well. She
makes
sure she does not have to hassle with technology tomorrow and everything
works
and goes to bed.
->
[G1]  Make sure Nellys smartphone will immedeately connect when she opens
the
presentation

I'm not exactly sure if this would be possible. To make sure that only a
single remote can control the presentation and that it's the presenter's
remote, the remote has to generate some kind of code that you could enter
into LibreOffice to make it possible to control. Therefore, the remote
can't automatically connect to the software.

[G2]: Make sure Nellys notes will be shown to her in the presentation

That's part of the design.

[SB2] [P1] in [SI2]: Nelly is giving her presentation. She is quite nervous
but it gives her a good feeling that she can easily read the notes and
navigate through the slides. without ever showing the wrong slide. Then her
professor asks a question, and she suddenly has to go back to a certain
slide.
She really like that she does not have to flip through all the pages, but
simply opens the desired slide and then effortlessly continues her talk at
the
last slide again....

That's what the slide picker is for.

[G3]: Avoid errors when while moving through the sildes

What kind of errors?

[G4]: Make sure switching between slide and notes is easy

What if the user needs to see the two at the same time?
But even in this design, it is easy to show only the notes or only the
slide.

[G5]: Make notes are supportive even with a lot of notes

Not sure what you mean by this.

[G6]: Make it easy to to show slides that shortly interrupt the
presentation
flow

Again, covered by the slide picker.

.... now we could rate the relative importance of these goals and then we
have
a measure to actually inter-subjectively judge how good our design
proposals
are. Doing this I would immeadetely say that the current solution does not
(fully) support the above derived goals.

How so? Could you make specific suggestions for improvement?

We can do user resaerch on most of the aritfacts to get "real"
priorization of
the importance of the goals and hence are able to challenge our design with
approximations of real users and their needs... So all of this of course
has
to be done more thoroughly.

I agree, but it's a bit too late with this project, as the deadline is this
upcoming Tuesday.
I'll try to draft a proposal of how to best incorporate these artifacts
into our workflow and how to make sure that our artifacts really reflect
our users (a bit of social networking might help there).

Hope this can be of any help...

Thanks :)

Cheers,
Björn