2012/4/19 Jan Holesovsky <kendy@suse.cz>

Hi Mirek,

On 2012-04-19 at 14:17 +0200, Mirek M. wrote:

So I propose this instead: let's work on finding the right colors and/or
gradients for the LibreOffice chrome, and let's also use a custom theme
on
Windows Vista/7, as the native theme looks awful (bad enough that not
even
Microsoft's own applications use it).

I appreciate what you are saying, but please note that even the most
trivial custom chrome needs some serious programming work, in addition
to the designing work.  Would be great if somebody took the time, and
hacked all those Windows-95-like scrollbars, buttons, etc. that you can
see when you run without the Windows theming.  But that is some serious
hacking work, not to mention the design work you would have to provide.

Would it not be even possible to change the design without changing
dimensions/shapes?
How about having a custom skin for Windows, one different from the default
one?

I'd love to see that happen - but I unfortunately cannot spend my time
on that :-(  If you know of an interested hacker, I'll handhold him
through the oddities of the vcl code to make that happen; but I haven't
managed to find anybody as of now - and I tried (via blog posts and GSoC
proposals).

 That includes the background behind
documents, the background of the status bar, the look of separators, the
look of the toolbars and the menu bar (Windows-only).

What do you think? Should I start a whiteboard for this?

Let's start simple - please propose what _easy_ changes can we do to
achieve better look.  Easy changes include:

- background for the Writer window (be it a solid color, or a picture)

Made a whiteboard for this [1].

- differently laid out toolbars (removal or addition of things there)

Tweaked my own whiteboard for this [2]. (My proposal may not make much
sense on it now, I'll change it soon.)

Could you look at my overflow menu idea [3] (as seen on Google+ [4])? I
believe it would allow us to streamline the UI without frustrating power
users. How hard would it be to develop?

- hiding / showing things by default (like, hide the ruler, status bar,
 some toolbar, etc.)

You already know about the status bar revamp whiteboard [5].
It'd be acceptable to hide the ruler by default -- it's very easy to get
back.

This could actually lead to results - when people see what's going on,
more can join, and we'll be able to do more radical changes.

But please - let's start small, and without too much overhead :-)  How
does that sound?

Thank you,
Kendy

[1]