On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Astron <heinzlesspam@googlemail.com> wrote:
user has zoomed in or resized their window and can't see the number
It should still be displayed in the tooltip ...

I would suggest that the page number floated beside the top left/right
corner of the *visible* page.
That would make the number even more useful, but would make it also
feel less "physical"

I know what you mean. I am generally for more anchored and zoomable UI
elements. But only if the user knows how to zoom/pan quickly.

I do use a Visual Studio plugin which shows a miniature preview
*instead* of the scroll bar, so scrolling is synonymous with clicking
on the document preview. It's quite a nice zoom-style metaphor, and we
could have the page numbers fade in over pages if needed when
scrolling more than a short distance. I'd call that
dynamic/action-contextual UI.

THE SURVEY:
1. What's your screen size and resolution (most of the time)?
1440/900 (15") or 1920/1080+1280/1024 (27"+19")
2. What paper format do you use?
A4
3. Do you work in full-screen?
On the laptop, mostly, on the desktop rarely.
4. Do you use any multi-page mode (for instance two pages in one screen?
Yes for review/comparisons, constructing mockups from screenshots
(page numbers there too!)

Further development could be to add contextual actions if the user
selects the page number - go to page N, insert page, etc.
That's really clever, but ... far harder ... mailing list forever. So, let's
postpone this discussion.
Agreed. I like to throw in far-fetched ideas, but it was not meant as
a suggestion for this iteration.

@RGB ES/Mirek:
Which page number? The "physical" page number, the "printed" page number, both?
I'm there with Mirek voting for only physical page number.
other solutions
* make it configurable (... seems a bad solution
* present both, but only if they _differ_, with the "printed" value
smaller and below the "physical" value.
I'm with you here. Prefer just one, certainly don't show two numbers
the same. Different sizes and different colours might just about swing
it, though, as the suite acts as a viewer as well as an editor, and
people prefer to have 1 mapping in their head ('change font size on
page xvii. Wait, is that page 17, or 16, or...').

One use case in my head was inserting an envelope at the beginning of
a multipage letter. To most people, the envelope is the envelope, and
page 1 is the first full page. But I would hazard a guess that almost
all office suites mark that as pages 1 and 2.

If I was to carry on down this road, I'd suggest having an indicator
of the current section/chapter as well - again people have 1 mapping
and that is often the document structure rather than the page number
when looking at an electronic document. Also, legal stuff is all
section 3 paragraph 2 sentence 6, not page 7 line 3.

If the user can see all these (default is just the page number) they
can be given, upon hovering, the option to hide the others for now or
for ever.

My vote is just show the page number, as originally suggested, at the
top left corner of the screen, and refine any further proposals as a
separate stage.

Philip H