I'm working on that, too.  From what I can see of the old graphical layout
utility that we use, there is no way for us to create this in an easy
fashion.  What I think we can do, however, is to replace the old vcl library
with something new.  I'm looking at using XUL instead, but the problem so
far that I'm running into is that XUL really prefers the backend code to be
mostly javascript.  So what I'm thinking we may wish to do is to replace vcl
with something that has the same API but that uses custom xml, svg, and css
to describe the forms that we need it to make however this is going to be a
lot of work as I don't really see any other F/OSS libraries to pull from...
 Any other suggestions would be really helpful!

Yours Truly,
Scott R. Pledger