Hi Cyril!

Am Montag, den 25.04.2011, 09:58 -0400 schrieb Cyril Arnaud:
Hi,
I am currently wondering which office suite I should recommend to my
customers : Symphony or LibreOffice.
As far as I can tell there is no difference between the two in terms of
performance.

Mmh, in terms of speed we should be a bit better ... there is a lot of
Java stuff built around the OOo core - but if working with Symphony is
more efficient for the tasks of your customers, that's not an issue.

But in term of interface and usability it's a different story.

After using Symphony for few days, I found that the interface being more
inviting, you are more likely to "play" with the settings and thus
discovering more efficient ways to work.

Yes, the UX team there was quite active - and we also had some
discussion on the OOo user experience list with them, also reviewing
their stuff. I can even say that one tiny thing in Symphony was based on
my recommendation :-)

I spend a lot of time training and explaining to my customers where to
find which option in OpenOffice/LibreOffice.

Mmmh, I think it would us to know what you are explaining to them (just
a brief overview will already help...). Maybe this is already known
stuff, but maybe we get some more insight.

So my dilemma is as follow : should I recommend using LibreOffice to
benefit from the rapidly evolving features, or should I recommend
Symphony for it's nice interface ?

Well, if your customers primarily care about the interface, then chose
what is more helpful for them. But - I'm sure you are very aware of that
- there are other things that make LibO attractive: extensions, the
support by the community, a more direct way to ask for improvements /
resolving issues (here I mean real bugs that are more clear to the
development), and of course we are future proof ;-)

In my personal opinion, chose what is good for them now + n years in the
future (n = the time in years the customers might revisit their
decision).

Another way to ask the question is : Will LibreOffice's interface evolve
toward a Symphony' style in the near future (3.5, 3.6 ?) ?

LibO will be improved, of course. But the community hasn't yet decided
what direction to take ... that'll need a bit more time. So I think (my
personal opinion), the next year there won't be drastic changes ...

Thanks,

-Cyril

Did that help? And a proposal: please consider to ask on the users or
discuss list - there are some trainers and consultants as well, who
might provide some more detailed feedback why they chose the Symphony /
MS-Office / Insertnamehere product for their customers.

Cheers,
Christoph