At 13:52 17/08/2016 +0100, Tom Morton wrote:
I was writing my dissertation yesterday using Libre Office Writer. I accidentally saved it as 2003 XML document. I had written 3000+ words and now I can not get the words back. However, when I open the document in Libre Office Writer, It comes up saying that there is 3000+ words in the word count and 6 pages in the properties but I can only see headers, some footnotes and two small paragraphs.

If I rename this as a .docx it also opens in OpenOffice as well as the Microsoft Word Viewer showing only those two pages. Examining the XML itself in Internet Explorer or a plain text viewer confirms that the small amount of text that you are seeing is all there is in the file.

you can see in this image that there is 3362 words however only showing two pages of around 300-400 words. This second picture shows the 6 pages that it says it has.

Examining the raw XML again shows that the figures of 6 pages, 3362 words, 20511 characters, and 55 paragraphs are coded in the file itself, and evidently LibreOffice is repeating those without calculating values itself. If you save a copy as .odt (but beware: see below and look for back-up copies first), I think you will see that you stimulate LibreOffice to recalculate the figures and come up with 30 paragraphs, 499 words, and 2974 characters.

So the material you have lost is simply not in this file.

o As someone has already said, if this was the first time you saved the document in a new format, you should still have the previously saved version in the older format, which will not have been overwritten. Look in your own folders for Dissertation.odt (or whatever).

o Look in Tools | Options.. for the path to Backups. Navigate there and look for Dissertation.bak. If you find it, *make a copy in your own document folders*, change the extension to .odt (or whatever it might have been), and hope that it contains your lost work.

o Go back to your most recent external back-up copy of the document and continue working from there.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker