Hi :)
Good point.  Also have you tried increasing the size of the memory caches
available to LibreOffice?
Tools - Options - LibreOffice - Memory

However in Gnu&Linux a single app should be able to "grey out" or even crash
completely without affecting any of the other apps or the rest of the desktop.
Usually if you move the mouse arrow outside of the app or switch to another
workspace then you should find that everything else is working fine.

In platforms that are not unix-based apps and processes are not usually
protected from each other.  This impacts on stability and security.  That is why
i thought it best to get a bug-report posted asap so thanks for doing that.
Regards from
Tom :)