Hi :)
Yes, the tab stops justify text on their own line and that line has nothing to
do with the page as a whole.  You could have a left justified tab-stop at 3/4
across the page to put your own address at the top of a letter neatly (i use a
2col, 1row table but it could be done with a tab-stop).

If you click the backward P on the toolbar then you might see that some spaces
are messing things up slightly?
Regards from
Tom :)