Hi :)
You should be able to just double-click on documents that were written in Word
and they should just open in LibreOffice now.  If not then right-click on the
Word file and choose "Open with ..." and then find LibreOffice or Writer in the
list.  It is smart to create a back-up copy before doing something unfamiliar
just in case something unexpected happens.  So that was still a smart move.

Please note that a lot of people on this list like to post their answers at the
bottom of a thread.  So Sigrid's idea is worth trying.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)