[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] support of PDF UA
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] support of PDF UA
- From: Christophe Strobbe <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:56:10 +0100
- To: email@example.com
At 18:09 4-2-2012, Jaap van de Putte wrote:
(...) For websites the government in the Netherlands is following the accessibility guidelines from the W3C, the Web Content Accessibiliy Guidelines (WCAG). (...)
According to these Web Guidelines, government sites are obliged to offer their documents in an open and accessible format. For now the possibilities of LibreOffice in exporting a file are sufficient: you have to export it to PDF/A-1a. In the near futere it will be necessary to use a new subversion of PDF, PDF/UA (Universal Accessibility). PDF/UA is more accessible than PDF/A-1a. More about this format you can read on ow.ly/8RxcQ <http://t.co/GZLiHl8b>.
I am curious if new versions of LibreOffice will make it possible to export files to PDF/UA. If LibreOffice is going to support this format, it will make a huge difference when LibreOffice is compared to other office suites. And it wil be must easier to promote LibreOffice to be used by government organizations.
I agree this would be nice :-)
I found your enhancement request at <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45636> and I have a few questions:
1) Last year, I filed an enhancement request to enable tagged PDF by default: <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39667>. If LibreOffice adds PDF/UA support, do you think it should be enabled by default?
2) In the PDF Options dialog box, should "PDF/UA" replace the current "PDF/A-1a" or should it be an additional checkbox?
3) If the user checks "PDF/UA" or "tagged PDF", should LibreOffice warn the user about accessibility issues in the source document? (There is an accessibility checker for Writer, but it is currently only available as an extension: [shameless plug] <http://sourceforge.net/projects/accessodf/>. It may be submitted to LibreOffice, but it is in Java, while LibreOffice wants to reduce its dependence on Java.)
K.U.Leuven - Dept. of Electrical Engineering - SCD
Research Group on Document Architectures
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
tel: +32 16 32 85 51
Open source for accessibility: results from the AEGIS project www.aegis-project.eu
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/accessibility/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
|Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] support of PDF UA||Jaap van de Putte <email@example.com>|
|[libreoffice-accessibility] support of PDF UA||Jaap van de Putte <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] support of PDF UA
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] support of PDF UA
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] support of PDF UA
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] support of PDF UA