Hiya,

As noted in my Community Meeting email, I mentioned in May that I'd
like us to have our next meeting using WebRTC (http://webrtc.org/).
I've been hoping for some time to use WebRTC videochat for various
TDF/LibreOffice meetings, as this would allow us to have a chat using
100% Free/Open Source Software AND would allow people to use their
current browser without having to download anything new.

I did a bit of research, and although I got some promising results, I
ran into a couple of problems.

* Jitsi Meet (https://meet.jit.si) is the most stable WebRTC
video-conference-enabler I found, but Firefox doesn't implement the
pieces necessary for FF to broker WebRTC streams through that site.

* Talky.io (http://talky.io/) is another video-conf-enabler site, and
does (or did -- I've had some problems with recent FF builds) seem to
work with FF, but has problems working between FF and Chromium, and in
general is a bit more flaky than Jitsi Meet.

So, for the time being I'm going to move forward with using Chromium +
Jitsi Meet as our test setup for WebRTC videochat. This give us 100%
FOSS setup, and although it may require any FF-only users to install a
new piece of software, Chromium has a high likelyhood of being useful
for other purposes -- e.g. if you need to test something in two
different browser environments.

If you have any questions or suggestions, or perhaps have mad
programming skills and would like to submit a patch to Firefox to get
multistream support[1] working, please let me know!

Cheers,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon
LibreOffice Community Outreach Herald

[1] That's what's preventing FF from interoperating w/Jitsi Meet --
for more details, see https://meet.jit.si/chromeonly.html