We can try out the creation and the mailing of the LibreOffice DVDs in India. It will be difficult to do this as a commercial exercise, however. It will be easier to justify the expenses to our funding agency by saying that we are promoting FOSS. In view of this, I propose the following:

  1. You may re-direct all the requests from India to us.  We will send
     a DVD to them free of cost.  On the label, we will acknowledge our
     funding agency.  We don't mind giving equal recognition to
     LibreOffice: we can say that the DVD was possible due to the
     contribution from our funding agency and LibreOffice, The Document
     Foundation.  But don't know whether this will create any trouble
     to LibreOffice in other parts of the world.
  2. Provide a voluntary donation button on your web page.  In case
they donate anything, LibreOffice can keep it - we don't need it. Please note, however, that it should be made amply clear that the
     donation is absolutely voluntary.

Regards,

Kannan

webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

I would like some helpful ideas for creating a page that offers a printed DVD of the current version of LibreOffice in each of the active lines. This will be for people who do not have access to a broadband connection for downloading the DVD's ISO file.

The costs for shipping to "the World" from the USA is as follows, in USA dollars:

Priority MailĀ® International Padded Flat Rate Envelope
Maximum Value for Contents: $400.00
USPS-Produced Envelope: 12-1/2" x 9-1/2"
Maximum weight 4 pounds.

USA - $5
Canada or Mexico - $13
Everywhere elseI can ship to - $17 [Europe, Australia to Taiwan, and the rest]

The PriorityEnvelope will be delivered [as stated in the USPS.com rates] in 6 to 10 business days, while the "cheaper" rates could take over 20 days for delivery to many regions of the world. Hong Kong to me usually takes 18 to 20 days for "standard" shipping. I have ordered from that area a few time to get a feel for the "normal" time for delivery.

I would like some "help" and ideas on how I could make the ordering page for those who have access to a PAyPaL account. For those who do not, I was thinking about a PDF for that will be filled out and sent with their payment of a money order or "bank check". There will be a box where the person "makes" their own shipping label. I will copy theform and cut out the "address label box" and tape it on the envelope. This way there will be no deciphering on my part what the shipping address label will look like.

Thisordering page, etc., was prompted by a guy in India who wanted an English DVD since he did not have access to any Internet connection in his area fast enough to download the install files, let alone things like documentation and language packs. It would be nice to get a "cheaper" print-on-demand service to do the work for "us" so people could have access for getting a copy of media that includes "regional" CD/DVD projects, but it seems that finding these DVD media print-on-demand one copy at a time is harder to find than "hen's teeth".

SO
I could use some constructive ideas on how to set up a "shopping" page. I have a PayPal account to accept payments, but never used that partof my account.

--
Bridging digital divide through FOSS and helping migration to Scilab from Matlab
http://spoken-tutorial.org/CSI.pdf