On 12/29/12 7:36 PM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

I really would like to know how much MSO feels that LO and OOo are going
to take their market away for them to spend time to make this second
version of this document.

I made some rough calculations back in 2009, when OOo numbers peaked
before the Oracle acquisition and the fork. Numbers were unfortunately
limited to Italy, as I could access to more detailed figures about the
market, and I could verify - although informally - the numbers with
analysts (personal friends).

In 2009, OOo in Italy reached a market penetration higher than 20%,
although there were many users of both suites. I estimated around 10% of
unique OOo users, in a market with around 20 million users of desktop
office suites.

At 2009 price, 1 million licenses of MS Office at the discounted price
of 150 Euro per license (an estimated average between the large account
price and the single user price) were worth 150 million Euro over 3/4
years (the length of the MS license).

MS Italy in 2009 had an estimated turnover of 750 million Euro, which
means that OOo eroded something between 5 and 10% per year. Enough for
creating the first version of the document.

In 2012, LO has made inroads in several large government organizations,
and some private companies (although the latter are shy about making it
public, as they know that this would bring in immediately the MS salesman).

I do not know how much LO has been able to erode in term of MS Office
licenses, but we must always remember that the Office Division is still
MS cash cow with slightly less that 30 billion dollars turnover.

This explains the second version of the document.

--
Italo Vignoli - italo.vignoli@gmail.com
mob +39.348.5653829 - VoIP 5316436@messagenet.it