Marc Paré kirjoitti 26.4.2020 klo 22.39:
Le 20-04-23 à 02 h 31, Ilmari Lauhakangas a écrit :
Emiliano Vavassori kirjoitti 22.4.2020 klo 23.45:
Hi Ilmari,

Il 22/04/20 20:18, Ilmari Lauhakangas ha scritto:
What's up with the wild world of conference calls? Let's have a look at
the past, present and future of TDF's Jitsi.

Thanks for the recap and the overview for the next future.

I still support the idea that Jitsi will help us so much in making
public meetings with 20+ people. I'm looking forward for the next
iterations, to see if implementations done by Infra team has the
expected impact on the user experience. Nonetheless, I see this is too
much bound to client settings to be "stable" by itself.

Calling Firefox out of the games from the start seems harsh, though. We
can state that due to implementation issues with the regards of Firefox,
you may use it if in version >77 or with simulcast disabled (we should
provide docs to disable it, at least a link). Plus we should briefly
clarify that, if indications are not followed, esp. on the FF side, it
would thrash others' experience.

For sure, we should give much stricter/clearer indications on how to
join the meeting for the sake of the quality perceived by all of the
participants. Maybe building a wiki page (to be pointed out when calling
public meetings) on how to access the Jitsi instance with these caveats
(and the other ones pointed out before by Cloph) may quicken and ease it
usage, making it also a public point. Ideally, showing it before joining
the room would increase also its effectiveness (at least the first
time).

I wrote the recap at this time, because it seems to me that the
problems with browser diversity are essentially solved. Simulcast for
stable Firefox is disabled in the up-to-date Jitsi Meet we use and
even though it was supposed to relate to video, it seems to coincide
with having no problems anymore in an audio-only call. I will continue
to join various meetings with stable Firefox to see, if people have a
degraded experience.

I don't see a need to create documentation for this or mention it:
even if Firefox 75 would continue to cause problems, we only have a
bit over 1 month to 77. On the contrary, we can stop warning about
browser diversity.

I focused on Firefox, but Safari support is being improved as well.

Ilmari

Just as a side-note to this, some Linux distributions are using (as in
my case with Mageia Linux) Firefox v.68.70esr. I am not sure if the
Firefox devs will be patching their LTS versions so that these not cause
any issues. Do you know if this has also been considered?

Marc

The changes in Firefox are more like implementing missing features, so they definitely will not be backporting them.

Ilmari