Re: [libreoffice-website] Libo4 Pages: new version 20130211

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Italo Vignoli <italo.vignoli@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/12/13 12:15 PM, Camille Moulin wrote:
>
> Hi Camille, the fact that all screens are looking like Apple screens is
> somehow disturbing for a number of LibreOffice users.

The computer displayed in the images is very clearly an Apple iMac:
https://www.libreoffice.org/
https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=apple+imac&tbm=isch

Even an HP computer jokingly described online as "HP introduces new
Apple iMac" couldn't be mistaken for the current designs:
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/10/hp-imac/

> I personally do not see this as a major problem, but if we can find a
> compromise we would avoid unnecessary frictions.
> One solution could be to tweak the color, as the aluminium is the Apple
> distinctive color for desktop computers.

The foot size, shape, and position, the bezel width on the front
(skinny on top, thicker on the bottom), and even the hard chine are
all pretty recognizable as the Apple design.

> Anyway, not a real problem, but something to consider if we have enough
> time.

I'd classify it as a philosophy issue, not a technical issue. If we
want to bill LibreOffice as the premiere FLOSS office suite, should we
use the front page to display hardware designs from companies who are
friendly to Free, Libre and Copyleft software, or should we display
hardware from Apple?

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Camille Moulin
<camille.moulin@alterway.fr> wrote:
> I 100% agree. The only problem is time to actually get proper (aesthetically
> and legally -wise) pictures of other screens.
> Marc suggested to contact screen manufacturers: well, go ahead ! About the
> idea of taking pictures ourselves, I'm not sure it is that easy to get
> proper lightning, etc.

If you'd like to stick with an all-in-one system, both System76 and
ZaReason have computers that are similar to (but noticeably different
from) the iMac design:

https://www.system76.com/desktops/model/sabc1
https://zareason.com/shop/zima-930.html

I think that either companies would be happy to help out LibreOffice
by sharing some photographs of their machines :-)

--R