Hi Michael,
On 14/12/2010 08:49, Michael Wheatland wrote:
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Sophie Gautier
<gautier.sophie@gmail.com>  wrote:
There is already forum that exist and they use phpBB technology for some or
may be most of them. Drew has the knowledge here.
For the French speaking one, it will be linked on our support page once the
final version is announced because the admins and moderators don't want to
provide supports on dev versions. I don't know if they have been asked, but
I'm not really sure they will accept to migrate on a Drupal tool when they
seems very happy with the technology they are currently using (and they have
choose). There might be also an issue on migrating the existing database,
not sure it's worth the cost.

There is a clear benefit of having a forum, as there are clearly a lot
of people who prefer not to use mailing lists.

Yes, of corse, this is why they already exists in several languages. Again this community is not born yesterday and has already settled several ways of work and support for their users. Did you already visit the different forums in the Italian, German, Japanese,... language projects? Have a look and ask you the question what should they change their tool, what will that bring to the community?

I would suggest that deliberately separating a language team from the
main community is counter productive to one of the reasons that
LibreOffice was formed, to unite the community across all languages.

It is how our community works and has always work. Why again should you tell people how they have to work, when they are already organized and it has proven that it was the way to go for them. LibreOffice was created to solve a governance issue, not a tool issue. A tool is not a community.

When the Drupal site has been created I am sure the French speaking
team can make the assessment, and if decided so, migration from phpBB
to Drupal is quite simple.

That will be to each language forum to choose what they want. Even though they chose to stay with the tool they are use to, they still will be part of the community. And we are not going to duplicate the resources by settling different tools to serve the same purpose.

Please again consider that this community exists since several years, is organized, structured, used to work together. The tool is not the community. So don't force them to use a tool if they don't want to, don't force them to comply to a structure that do not speaks to their language or their culture.

We are not all on the same model, we are not the Mozilla, the Ubuntu community or the Gnome one. We have a 10 years story behind us, let us build on this, not start again as if nothing has been done. Look what happened the last week-end, how many languages have been updated by their team, isn't it a very beautiful community working together with the developers?

I hope you understand my point and don't get it against your work or Drupal. Again it is very important that every body is assured that there is no obligation for them to comply to a tool or another, it is not a matter of tool, but a matter of work that has to be done to build a product and its project. For that we need tools that's true, but if they are already existent, used, etc, they should not be changed.

Kind regards
Sophie