On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@openoffice.org> wrote:
Sorry I am just chippin in with no background on the conversation aside from
the content of this email and the title. Sophie, perhaps you want to add how
would it work best instead of just saying is not good. Also from your
comments it seems we should just have separate vhosts for each Language.
That way it will be completely separate.

If native language teams wish to functionally separate from the
community there is nothing stopping that. As can be seen with the
BrOffice branding.
Functional separation will however result in an overall poorer
experience for that local community.
The current advice from the steering committee is to create one
unified site so everyone can benefit from others contributions no
matter what language.

I actually have been asking for this since forever, of course the best way
was just going ahead and doing it ourselves instead of trying to convince an
admin. But having VPS where we can generate our own site using our preferred
language and technology was a solution for many of our needs that we had in
the past. Of course this is taking it a bit to the extreme. But I wonder
what would be the argument for not doing this. I can think of a nightmare to
admin +/-72 different VPS but I also can see the benefit of having our own
selection of technologies to use.

Admin of VPS has become very easy with version control systems. Very
simple to update all at once. I am sure this *would* be possible if
the steering committee decided to change their advice, but should we
be going this way?
The real benefits of inclusion into one community is pooled resources
independent of language, multiculturalism resulting in a better office
product for all languages and best of all inclusion into conversation
and discussion for people who's language does not have a large support
base and cannot speak a language that does have a large support base.

I would be more than interested to hear logical reasons to go in a
different direction.

Michael Wheatland