Hi Michael, *,

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Michael Wheatland
<michael@wheatland.com.au> wrote:
Everyone setting up their own drupal site is /not/ collaboration. That
is everything doing his/her own thing.

If you cannot give an explanation, why there are 4 drupal sites
necessary, why it would make sense to use four different sites, I
stick with my opinion: It is a waste of efforts and time.

Christian,
Your suggested negatives are the very core of rapid prototyping,
Drupal is VERY easy to set up quickly

I don't blame you personally, but I heard this over and over again,
and despite it being so easy, people only tak big, but don't configure
it.

and it is often easier to
demonstrate ideas you are talking about.

Sure - but again: Why don't demonstrate it on one site? Why have four?

If we all just did what we
wanted to some official installation it would be a giant mess and not
well integrated across the site.

I have no idea what you mean with "official installation". But if you
cannot integrate the different ideas now, how would you integrate them
when it comes to setting up the real site?

So sorry, I don't accept this as argument for having multiple drupal
installations. In contrary, that is an argument against multiple
sites, if people create conflicting setups, then it is best to be
aware of it now and have time to look for a way that combines both
ideas, and not wait until last minute.

I don't think we are yet at the stage where we should be constructing
the final draft of the drupal site, it has really only been a few days
yet.

No one is talking about a final draft. But starting with default
drupal installations over and over again just won't help to setup a
site (a configuration, a prototype) that you could call "ready for
production"

We need to get the structure right and that will involve more
prototyping probably. Sorry.

Don't sorry me - explain why you cannot do this on one Drupal site.

Also, In any organisation, voluntary or not it is not, it is not
acceptable to call peoples work "A waste of efforts and time". People
have worked very hard on creating these resources which will be used
in building a final site. If you don't understand it, just say that.

I don't care if an individual works hard for his pet project. If that
individuals only does so to please his/her own ego, then the community
isn't helped.
And I demand you to not pull quotes out of context.

And I guess I pretty much did write that I don't understand it. But
drupal folks seem to have the "answer-avoidance gene", instead they
brag about how great drupal is. Again, don't blame you personally, but
if you take the time to read the previous mails on this list, you'd
maybe understand my POV.

I want results. I don't want taking about how you /could/ do it.
I'm all with you that it needs a site to actually demonstrate stuff.
But again: Why four?

If you cannot come up with reasonable distinct use-cases for the four
sites, then I stick with my opinion. In my eyes having four drupal
demo/prototype sites is a waste of time and efforts.

And the new server isn't meant to host the drupal demo site, but only
the in-production sites. The drupal prototyping/demoing would need to
continue on one of the sites.

(And I don't see why that should be a problem)

All,
May I suggest www.libreoffice.org/drupal for the official development site.
Can it be hosted on the new CMS server?

No.

We will need to decide quickly who needs what permissions.

Because of this. shell access to production servers will be rather limited.

But again: You already got sites where people can have shell-access.
So just use those.

[...]
I have not seen any community collaboration on SilverLight yet,

Its silverstripe, but I'll forgive you. I'll also forgive you that you
didn't read a month worth of previous mails on the lists.

In case you wonder: There is no need for any further collaboration, as
it fulfills all requirements that were laid out, it does the job.
There have been logins provided to check the "feel" of the cms and stuff.

is
there a possibility we may have to step up to the plate and launch
sooner or is SL being built without community collaboration?

Now it is getting silly. Get your facts straight, then start accusing
people of not involving anybody.

Fact is: Those who requested a "under the hood" view of silverstipre
were granted that under the hood look. There weren't many, but it was
convincing enough to go ahead and use silverstripe for one project
(CD/DVD collection) no matter what the SC did pick, no matter what the
main project will choose.

Fact is: I didn't put down any requests for access to the silverstripe
installation. (Nobody else requested that type of access)

I can only guess on the last part, but I'm /sure/ that not all of the
drupal followers did even bother to log in to silverstripe and check
it out.

ciao
Christian