On Thursday 04 Nov 2010 02:52:23 Nino Novak wrote:
On Wednesday 03 November 2010 13:18, Graham Lauder wrote:
On Wednesday 03 Nov 2010 22:15:30 Nino Novak wrote:

what do you mean by "I tried" - how did you try to post the
message?

A mailing list is used here because it allows maximum working
efficency, far over any web based service.

You are of course kidding, I couldn't post to any TDF lists or
addresses for about three days because the list decided to blacklist
my ISP and they all got bounced as spam and that during a critical
discussion

Ok, now I see what you meant. I have several mail addresses, so if a
temporary failure occurs in one of the pathways, I just switch and
continue without delay.

I snip the rest of your message as I did not want to start a religious
war here but just to look if there's something going wrong which could
be addressed quickly. As for data loss, there are public archives
around you can use.

I just felt it was a bit rich saying that someone that didn't like maillists
was obviously incapable of using them properly. Hardly helpful

And as for the project here, it has been started with mailing lists, so
we all have to accept to use them. Migration to forums or other tools
is  possible but can only happen, if a majority of members support it
and want it.

I've been involved with FOSS projects for nigh on ten years, didn't like mail
lists back then and don't like their limitations now, but then like now, I put
up with them because a majority of the administrators like it that way.  OOo
has 13,000 people signed up to the mail lists, the "majority" don't use them.
Users freaking out about being swamped with emails or not knowing how to
subscribe or unsubscribe, or posting without subscription or getting lost
amongst all the lists is a daily occurrence. So don't tell me they're
efficient, they are a broken system but we have gotten so used to the hacks
and workarounds we refuse to open our minds to the fact that the vast majority
of our User catchment either don't or can't or find it difficult to use them.

However I've beaten this particular drum on numerous occasions before and it's
a pointless exercise, I've stopped giving clients directions to the lists and
now only point them to the forums and useful blogs and I just shrug and carry
on in the knowledge that nothing is likely to change and thank the gods for
Drew and Hagar and all the others on the forums.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org