On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 04:33 +0930, Michael Wheatland wrote:
I was looking at slide 14, in particular, and at some thoughts I've
been
assembling here:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Drew/user-web-space
Drew

Drew, I have read through your suggestions here but I am having some
trouble getting my head around it.
Are you suggesting a distributed community structure spread across
multiple domains?

Distributed community, no - the term Vols is a user group within TDF, or
if you prefer just think of it as the individuals registered with one of
the web services offered that have some special function. For example a
moderator in a forum or an admin in the mciro-blog.

-or-

Substitute TDF for Vols.

----

As for the servers / services being distributed - that depends on how
you mean. Let's say status net is the micro-blog platform and phpBB is
the forum, then I'm just showing that each is a separate service, even
using OpenID each would have a separate registration record.

They could be run as VMs under a single server, or the micro-blog could
be hosted in the status net cloud - [in that case I would make as part
of the roll-out plan a team to find a specific sponsor, but that's most
likely a different question for a different thread]

This could be setup as sub-domains, so forums.libo.org, mblog.libo.org
each would be a landing page but would give access to this one service
(server). [with links to, feeds from, the other services]

The Drupal instance at www.libo.org and user.libo.org would be embedding
services from these two servers.

In the other view, Drupal, Status Net and phpBB are all on the same
server, Drupal is managing the whole shebang.

I suppose that is what I was pondering - one way vs the other.

Best,

Drew

All,
Thanks for the feedback so far. I am continuing to integrate these
ideas into both the proposal and the wiki as they flow in.

I am looking for a person who knows their stuff with Drupal theming
and can knock up a very simple Drupal 6.x theme similar to the TDF
website/wiki pages as they currently stand for the rapid prototyping.