Re: [libreoffice-website] Meritocracy, roles, etc. (was: Decision about CMS)

Hi Marc,

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> It might help to codify contributions in some way, such as formalising
>> decision-making through i-Team-like structures where a number of
>> members are responsible for making decisions relating to a particular
>> task or project while also engaging with the community for
>> consultation, feedback, etc.
>>
>> Wiki pages listing what people have done, what they're working on,
>> etc. could help newcomers discover who to contact if they want to work
>> on something with someone, rather than simply subscribing to the list
>> and trying to figure it all out.
>
> This would still be too confusing for a new comer. For example, I have just
> created my Wiki and would challenge you to find it in a decent amount of
> time. If you were then asked to research the rest of the team in this way,
> then, as a member with no meritorious designation, you would most likely not
> join in but move on to a more structure project.
> Clarity should be set in a very simple and logic manner. If a project is
> announced, then a Wiki should be created with a list of members and a call
> for the community to discuss with the notion that the project membership
> will the make any final decisions when the community at large has discussed
> it. I believe this is a very understandable notion of structure for all.

I think we both have a very similar idea in mind, but it might not
have been clear from my previous email since there were a few implicit
assumptions that need to be made explicit. Wiki pages outlining
current projects, contributors, etc. would definitely need to be
accessible to new members, and this could be done through prominent
links on project pages. One such example is the OOo UX Team page [1].
That page links to individuals' wiki pages, which would otherwise be
hard to come across, so it's easier for new users to get an idea of
who's who. How exactly individual members' roles would be codified on
these pages is something that still needs to be discussed and decided.

Regards,
Ivan.

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience_Community