Hi Marc, *,

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 2:53 AM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:

Ok, I am more of a user than a dev, as you have probably seen from my posts.
To get to the "user" demo site, I am on a Mandriva system. How would I then
access your demo site. I don't quite understand why the test site is not
viewable directly. Or am I doing something wrong?

Because those hostnames are not registered in a dns server.

When you request a site with a name "name.of.site", your computer asks
a domain name server for the ip the server belongs to. now your
computer knows that the request needs to be sent to the address
171.24.1.242 for example.
But there are no such entries for de.pumbaa.ooodev.org or
sandbox.pumbaa.ooodev.org or silverbox.pumbaa.ooodev.org - thus when
you don't add the host-entries, your computer again asks the dns
server and that reponds with "sorry, don't know its address" and you
get a host not found.

By manually adding the listing to your hostfile, your computer doesn't
need to ask the DNS server, since it can already read that information
from the /etc/hosts file, knows that sandbox.pumbaa.ooodev.org is
reachable with the ip address 188.40.32.145

So on linux, edit the file /etc/hosts as root user. It should by
default contain a line
"127.0.0.1              localhost" append the lines

188.40.32.145 silverbox.pumbaa.ooodev.org
188.40.32.145 sandbox.pumbaa.ooodev.org
188.40.32.145 de.pumbaa.ooodev.org

to that file and save and close the file. Now you can access the sites.

As you can see all three (and pumbaa.ooodev.org itself as well) use
the same IP, the hostname is used to distinguish the subsites in this
case.

ciao
Christian