Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS

Hi Andrea, *,

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Andrea Pescetti
<pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
> Marc Paré wrote:
>
> A proper discussion would not fit the deadlines and tools the Document
> Foundation has now: if a decision has to be taken now, it will miss the
> bigger scope. If the Document Foundation must choose a tool that will be
> flexible enough to rebuild all the current OpenOffice.org infrastructure
> on it

No. I strongly disagree. Not one tool that can do all.

> (e.g.: OOo site; Extensions; TCM; QATrack),

And even that: Duplicating the extensions site would be a waste of
time and efforts. There are already two repositories, the OOo one, the
FSF one. It would be bad if there would be another one, just for the
sake of having it.
LO should be compatible to OOo in that regard, Extensions should run
on OOo, LO, other derivates, thus a dedicated site is a nogo.

> then Drupal is that
> tool; I can't imagine how to rebuild the Extensions site and all
> processing in Silverstripe, for one.

It would involve creating an appropriate module. But again, I'd not
see that as a good idea.
The extensions site has a different target user group, and a different
contributers group, so I don't see any reason to try to cover it with
the same tool that is used for the website.

> 2) Moving to a database-based CMS can imply loss of traceability of
> changes. The current CVS infrastructure, as bad as it can be, allows to
> see a full log of changes very easily. Drupal has a killer feature here:
> site settings can be exported to PHP code, shared among a distributed
> development team through any revision control system (SVN, git,
> whatever) and applied in a safe way to the running site. It is very
> important that we are able to answer the question "Who enabled
> this permission, when and why?"

Why is that a killer feature of drupal, why do you assume you can't
put silverstripe's configuration under version control?
What makes you think silverstripe wouldn't have a change history for the pages?

> 3) How do you plan to implement translations? (from a visitor's point
> of view, not technically). I mean, the current http://www.openoffice.org
> site is in English only; you need to go to http://de.openoffice.org to
> see content in German, but that one is a totally different site. On the
> other hand, the Silverstripe demo (and of course Drupal too) seems to
> support translation of the single pages: but is that what you want?

Well, this is a reiteration of what has been discussed already. No, it
is not *all* that we want. That's why I did put the subsites
requirement on the list.
But it is /part/ of what is wanted.

> From
> what I could see (pumbaa has been down for me for the last two hours)

Yes, the machine (the host) was rebooted and the VM that hosts
silverstripe wasn't restarted.

ciao
Christian