Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS

On Wednesday 20 Oct 2010 02:16:38 Benjamin Horst wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2010, at 8:56 AM, Graham Lauder wrote:
> > On Tuesday 19 Oct 2010 12:39:56 Keith Williams wrote:
> >> My opinion...
> >>
> >> Basically the only person that seems to want silverstripe is Christian.
> >> I think there are 3-4 people here that like Drupal in this group.
> >
> > Add one to Christians Group,
> >
> > I tried your demo and I also tried the Silverstripe demo. The
> > silverstripe interface is pretty intuitive I was changing permissions,
> > adding users and groups in no time. Excellent
> >
> > The Drupal Demo, I figured adding groups, couldn't figure how to manage
> > users or permissions and managed to post content
>
> http://www.mywebclass.org/~bhorst/admin/user

Access denied for testuser login

> > I did a comparison on Compare between Silverstripe and Drupal and while
> > there were swings and roundabouts, the significant difference was that
> > most of Drupals functionality seemed to come from addons or plugins and
> > I couldn't see any easy way of installing said plugins..
>
> You would not be able to install modules in the demo, since they require
> filesystem access. However, installed modules (many of which come with the
> system by default and can be considered "core" in an ordinary sense) can
> be enabled or disabled in the admin here:
> http://www.mywebclass.org/~bhorst/admin/build/modules

Access denied again

> > On the strength of the above I would go with Silverstripe.
> >
> > However in addition to that:
> >
> > Christian has a long history with the project and that does give his
> > opinion some gravitas especially given he will be responsible for the
> > CMS in the end.
>
> Yes, I respect Christian, but I don't feel that he is giving this issue
> sufficient balance. Having only installed Silverstripe once in a demo
> instance is no substitute for real-world experience with a platform. You
> may be disappointed in the half-complete Drupal Demo we've tried to set
> up, but I and colleagues have implemented Drupal in dozens of real-world
> sites for a vast array of clients, and it has stood up to the test.

And please, don't think I don't rate your contribution over the years as
highly. :) and I thank you for giving time to the debate.

> > The kicker for me though is that at some point in any OSS project roles
> > change or people get added to teams for this sort of admin. The number
> > of admins will expand quickly for all the various projects and the
> > faster they are up to speed on any CMS, the better. To me Silverstripe
> > wins this hands down.
>
> I think quite differently here. There are far more people in the FLOSS
> world familiar with Drupal, some of OOo's infrastructure has already been
> in Drupal, and new people who have used CMSs in the past likely have
> encountered Drupal. It's tested, it's robust, and it's widely known.

Fair comment and I would agree that the Drupal community is extensive and
passionate, however my experience has shown in the past that the passion can
get in the way of practicality, however having said that, my thanks for your
reasoned debate to this point.

My point was that people who are Drupal Geeks, while they may be out there,
are not always Office Suite Geeks like you and I, the people who will end up
administering this will invariably be the latter

However, my mind is always open and if evidence is shown to the contrary I'll
be happy to put my small weight behind it.

I should probably point out here that the IIRC Daniel Carrera set up the
ingots site on Drupal. http://www.theingots.org Ian Lynch could confirm or
correct that.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org