Hi Drew, *m

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Drew Jensen <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 17:30 +0200, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

We're talking about setting up a cms for website maintainence, not for
a site that hosts news bits or blogs or other bite-sized whatnot.
A structured website, similar to what www.openoffice.org is now.

By similar to oo.o you mean that language leads can create their own top
level page, yes?

Not sure what you refer to with top-level pages. They would be free to
create content on <lang>.documentfoundation.org

Adding toplevel pages to www.documentfoundation.org by NL-Leads with
content specific to that native-language is not what I meant. But
providing the pages translated to the corresponding language is (where
it makes sense).

But what of the infrastructure that is behind that:
each team gets mailing lsits

Mailing lists are seperate, but yes - each group dealing with a
certain aspect (be it dealing with marketing or with the website, as
well as the corresponding NL-groups) would get appropriate
mailinglist(s)

each perhaps a language forum

Not sure whether you refer to Forum as in web-forum where one creates
topics and replies to stuff other people wrote:
I added Forums to silverstripe because it is the fastest/easiest way
to get the corresponding registration form and have an area for quick
discussion. But those forums are not meant to provide end-user support
or the like.
One could setup additional forums of course, but I really think it
should be a dedicated forum then.

each has a language section on the wiki

wiki is separate and is meant for the "development" aspect, be it code
or other development. I.e. the place where active community members
(as opposed to users/consumers of the software) go to find additional
information. Whether the corresponding NL-group makes use of the wiki
or not is up to the group.

each has repositories for art work in their language

Art work/Branding is kind of a delicate topic (trademarks, visual
identity and stuff), so I'd rather have that "governed" by a marketing
or art project, similar to OOo (but actually working, where people
don't have to wait for an OK from Oracle as it is now :-((()

How does that figure into your thinking?

Well, it is just my perception obviously, it is easier to make a move
with similar structures, structures that allow continuing thte work
without too much fuzz for the members.

Details can always differ of course, but in my opinion the high-level
organization of the OOo project is not a bad idea (IMHO the parts that
was community controlled within the OOo project did work rather well).
You have specialized group for qa, marketing,... the nativel-lang
groups .. So I'd like to keep it that way.

How with that work flow be captured in Silver... is it or are you
assuming that is all outside of the CMS?

Not sure what you refer with workflow here. Workflow as in documenting
changes to the websites, having one group of people only being able to
edit, but not publish, and other people who can put sites on the live
site: Yes, that is covered inside the CMS.

Workflow in the terms of defining policies for the NL-groups and such:
No, that of course is not part of the CMS, how the Project will setup
its groups is outside the scope of the CMS - also whether a project
would like to make that distinction between only-authors and
publishers at all is up to the project (a publisher can publish right
away, but can also just request publication to have another publisher
review the changes) - I did setup the author role mainly to be able to
grant people access to the cms even if you don't really know them yet
(don't know whether they're careful enough when editing, etc)

Most users will not be authors in the long run.

Thanks, just a bit of clarity here on how you perceive the full
requirements here.

Well, not sure whether I got the questions right...

ciao
Christian