All stuff the Big D has either built in or a relatively good module for
(facebook connect)

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Benjamin Horst <bhorst@mac.com> wrote:

On Oct 11, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Per Eriksson wrote:
Some of the pros of OpenID are:

* No need to register additional accounts. Only the need to apply rights
to accounts in enabled systems.
* Saves time for the user.
* Can be reused by the user for other services outside TDF.
* Already several implementations for open source programming languages.
* Well-known

And some cons:

* Somewhat higher security risk. On the other hand, we don't store
financial data or something similar.
* If you get any problems with your account, it will affect all services.

What do others think? Do we have other technologies to concider? Or any
objections/additions to the list? :-)

I think OpenID would be a major benefit, and I know it would be
well-received by technical members. For the less geeky, I suggest we also
support Facebook Connect. In addition to the single sign-on benefits, it can
also propagate TDF activity out to members' activity streams and contacts.
As a presentation I recently attended suggested, "marketing should be
built-in to the product." In our case, we'd be facilitating a stream of TDF
related news back to Facebook by the simple act of participating (with user
approval), which means more, and more-continuous, promotion of our work.
This is sometimes called an "amplifier effect."

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bhorst@mac.com
646-464-2314 (Eastern)