Re: [libreoffice-website] Website and wiki design

Hello Per, Erich and Sophie:

>> Am 11.10.2010 11:22, schrieb Per Eriksson:
>>> I was looking at the Fedora project and how nicely they have integrated
>>> their normal website with their wiki. The navigation between the sites
>>> works seamlessly, and they look very much the same.
>>
>> nice example indeed :-)
>
> Christoph pointed me to their wiki join page and I really like it.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join

We can and should style the main LibO wiki page as a landing page that points users effectively to all the various sections it contains. First step is to list the requirements of this page, then to wireframe it, then to design, then to build.

>>> I would like to get the same experience when visiting our sites, and
>>> have come up with a couple of suggestions:
>>> * Adjusting the header so that it does not move when navigating between
>>> the sites.
>>
>> +1
> +1 too

Agreed. There should be a common header above the main site and wiki to facilitate navigating between the two. The two should feel much more cohesive than they did for OOo's pages.

>>> * The wiki's logo link goes to the website giving the user one front page.
>>
>> Hm, it goes to the wiki main page which most users would expect, links
>> to the website are under topic navigation in the main navi.
>
> agreed with Erich

This can be fixed with a common header above the wiki logo. The same common header should be used on the website and the wiki.

>>> * Adding the website's main navigation to the top?
>>
>> Not sure if I get you right, but I think it should stay clear whether
>> you're on the wiki or on the website. I would not not mind a main navi
>> on the left incuding prominent links to the website like they do.
>> We would have two rows of tabs on top of the wiki page with the
>> website's navi and I'm quite sure one would rather want to navigate
>> through the wiki pages than browsing the website.
>
> agreed also

The subheader for the wiki or website will make this clear, while maintaining a common header above them both.

>>> Please give me your thoughts and ideas. If you all think these are good
>>> ideas I would be happy to integrate them.
>>
>> That's good :-) I'm not really fit in wikidesign and I think fedora
>> really shows a nice way to do it. Reading the list here gave me the
>> expression that there are a lot of pages already but there's no navi on
>> the main page to access them... the docu link appeared just recently.
>
> Yes, we really need to have links to the categories on the main page
> to give some guidance to our visitors.
> Per could you work on this ? Adding QA, Documentation, Marketing,
> Website would be great.

Let's create a wireframe before building, so we can share with this list and get feedback, in order to build the best system we can. I'll try to create an example to start from.

Thanks,
Ben

Benjamin Horst
bhorst@mac.com