Re: [libreoffice-website] Website and wiki design

Hi Per, Erich,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Erich Christian <erich_tdf@irq.at> wrote:
> Hi Per, *
>
> Am 11.10.2010 11:22, schrieb Per Eriksson:
>> I was looking at the Fedora project and how nicely they have integrated
>> their normal website with their wiki. The navigation between the sites
>> works seamlessly, and they look very much the same.
>
> nice example indeed  :-)

Christoph pointed me to their wiki join page and I really like it.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join

>> I would like to get the same experience when visiting our sites, and
>> have come up with a couple of suggestions:
>> * Adjusting the header so that it does not move when navigating between
>> the sites.
>
> +1
+1 too

>> * The wiki's logo link goes to the website giving the user one front page.
>
> Hm, it goes to the wiki main page which most users would expect, links
> to the website are under topic navigation in the main navi.

agreed with Erich

>> * Adding the website's main navigation to the top?
>
> Not sure if I get you right, but I think it should stay clear whether
> you're on the wiki or on the website. I would not not mind a main navi
> on the left incuding prominent links to the website like they do.
> We would have two rows of tabs on top of the wiki page with the
> website's navi and I'm quite sure one would rather want to navigate
> through the wiki pages than browsing the website.

agreed also

>> Anyway, these are just suggestions that I think would improve the user
>> experience overall.
>
> Thank you for starting this, it's about time...

they are great suggestions, thanks a lot!

>> Please give me your thoughts and ideas. If you all think these are good
>> ideas I would be happy to integrate them.
>
> That's good  :-) I'm not really fit in wikidesign and I think fedora
> really shows a nice way to do it. Reading the list here gave me the
> expression that there are a lot of pages already but there's no navi on
> the main page to access them... the docu link appeared just recently.

Yes, we really need to have links to the categories on the main page
to give some guidance to our visitors.
Per could you work on this ? Adding QA, Documentation, Marketing,
Website would be great.

> Please set up a native lang main category and/or a nice nl navi like
> fedora did, I think there are quite some people ready to set up
> localized pages.

I would like us to wait a little bit on the native lang category,
because Khirano will come with a proposal for a new denomination as we
won't call us NLC any more. What we can do is setting our language
category (just like Helen has just done with Russian
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Category:RU) and work with Khirano
work on the general naming and pages.

Thanks :)
Kind regards