Re: [libreoffice-website] Wiki Discussion (Reboot)

On Oct 8, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Christoph Noack wrote:

> Hi Flo, hi all!
>
> Am Freitag, den 08.10.2010, 14:19 +0200 schrieb Florian Effenberger:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 07.10.2010 um 20:54 schrieb Christoph Noack:
>>
>>> My proposal: Let's ask the others for some comments ... and maybe our
>>> intermediate but heroic admins like Florian or Guy, or Christian will
>>> join.
>>
>> I guess that if we ask five people, we get seven replies which wiki is
>> the best. :-) Every wiki has its advantages and disadvantages, but for
>> us, the migration aspect is not unimportant. I'm happy to switch the
>> wiki, but remember this might take one or two weeks time, and that we
>> need to have a clear majority vote on this one.
>
> Thanks for the thoughts ... at the moment, I have the impression that a
> wiki that suits our needs with regard to multiple languages is the most
> important thing. So if we get five, seven, ... or even nine opinions, we
> might go for something quick that is - at least - proven for the use in
> such a large environment. And people (e.g. marketing list) are really
> demanding a wiki ...
>
> Benjamin, would that be somehow okay? I mean, you invest a lot of effort
> to get things right from the start ... on the other hand there is a need
> to move on. Grrr. I hate such things :-)

I don't want to slow this down if others are ready to proceed. I wish I had the sysadmin skills to demonstrate and rapidly update the wiki engine I've been recommending, but I was able to ask others to install a demo of it on my site. What you'll see there is a stock installation of the latest version; I have not even added any sample content yet: http://twiki.wikipages.com/bin/view/ (Never mind the subdomain, which is from a previous install before they underwent a name change.)

It includes three "webs" which you can see in the bottom of the lefthand column: Main, Sandbox and System. Look at System for the built-in documentation which is very thorough, and use the Sandbox to play around a bit.

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bhorst@mac.com
646-464-2314 (Eastern)