On 06/29/2014 11:47 PM, Kevin Suo wrote:
Hi,

on the "System Requirements" page, we have:
256 Mb RAM (512 Mb RAM recommended);
Up to 1.5 Gb available hard disk space;

This is misleading.
Mb = megabit, while MB = megabyte.
Gb = gigabit, while GB = gigabyte.

Thanks!

Kevin Suo

I do not think that you can run a Windows OS on less than 512 MB anymore. 512 MB is just too "slow" even for XP. I try to give even my XP systems 1-GB of ram, or at least when XP was supported by MS. Even the "low resource" Linux systems should have at least 512 MB to run the OS needs and LO's needs.

We need to see what it the current requirements are for running LO on a Win7 and Win8 system without it running at a snail's pace.

Maybe 256 MB for bare minimum,
512 MB for minimum recommended
1 GB or more preferred with current Linux and Windows versions.
I do not know what Mac systems require.

"They" keep saying that if your old XP system cannot support Win7 hardware needs, then "you" should try Linux Mint [16] since it has a "menu button" in the tray instead of a "start button", so XP users could easily get use to Linux Mint's desktop environment. Well, even with Linux Mint, 512 MB is really too slow with the "more modern" packages like LO 4.2.x. I have a 2000 era XP system [DELL Optiplex gx270] that is now running Mint 16. Had to upgrade it to 1-GB of ram [and replace the dead hard drive] to get any work done on it. 512 MB ram made it too slow to run LO 4.1.x or newer on it.

Tim L.