+1 for the option #2

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Florian Effenberger <
floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

Hello,

given we still have load issues on our main web server (kermit), and all
approaches to fix it didn't work out in the end besides some little curing,
I propose we go for another server, as throwing hardware at the problem
seems to be part of the solution.

We have two choices for that:

(1) Moving the SQL server to kermit completely.

(2) Moving only the Silverstripe instance for www.libreoffice.org and
native language projects to it.

My preference currently is #2. Reasons:

(a) When one of the servers has problems or goes down, it does not affect
all services. If a SQL or web machine is down, it affects all services,
even if the counterpart is still running.

(b) With the web site relaunch project, we need a testbed and second
instance to "pull the plug" when it's ready anyways, and IMHO it makes
sense to have the whole package on a dedicated machine.

(c) Internal connectivity at our ISP is between 200 Mbit/s to 1 Gbit/s. I
am not sure if the sheer amount of SQL data we need in parallel fits that.

Thoughts?

Florian