On 12/30/2013 12:51 PM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
Hello,

Not a widely seen page of our site:
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/linux/

I am redoing it for the new website but I think some of the info there
needs update. Any guidance appreciated, otherwise I'll rewrite it
entirely, but it will be shorter.

Thanks!

I would think it would be better to keep each type of Linux install separate. Debian-based vs. RPM. Also, I know that some versions of Linux use different commands to do the same things, so those versions need to be separated as well.

The problem is the fact that there are so many versions of Linux and the desktop environments out there. Will all of the install information be via a "terminal" or "command line" option? Even this terminology for the same box/window could be confusing.

Personally, I would make is as simple as possible for the Debian-based installs, like Ubuntu, and the same with the popular RPM-based installs. Each type separate. Then if there are some Linux installs that are different than the basic DEB or RPM installs, then note that and add the needed information at the end of the page[s].

note: I may not be thinking straight after a month of illness and hospital[s] visits, but what I remember as a beginner user of Linux, there was some needed information that was left out. Things like how to remove the previous version[s] installed by the OS installation or manual installation that could interfere with the new installation. I cannot find the document I created for this, but how do you use "remove" to do this, or should I use "purge".