Hello,

I'd like to give you an update on our progress with the SaltStack deployment. Alex and Robert have put a tremendous amount of work so far in evaluating and coming up with some best practices for deployment, and created an initial configuration based on my documentation.

It will be based on Debian 7, with modifications to make it also work with Ubuntu 12.04, so we're a bit more flexible in the choice of the target operating system. In theory, it can also be extended to other distributions, should the need arise and people are willing to work on the configuration. We plan to release at least the noncritical parts of the files under an open license, but I will follow-up with details when we're ready.

So far, we are able to manage physical hosts, and set-up and configure KVM guests as well as Amazon EC2 guests. A first test drive was the new AskBot VM, that is already being managed by SaltStack with regards to the base OS.

There's still some work in front of us, but I expect that managing and deployment of hosts, also on a short notice, can soon be done much easier and faster, helping the infra team to react on the community's needs much faster than now.

So much for the update, more will follow soon.

A big thank you to Alex and Robert for their great work and support, it wouldn't have been possible without them!

Florian