Hi Bruce,

Bruce Martin wrote on 2012-10-10 04:47:

Kudos from Quebec, Canada...

I am so terribly sorry for this insanely late reply. There's work to do whereever you look, and some e-mails are in my inbox much longer than I want to - so sorry for that, please don't take it personally.

First, let me offer my humble kudos for all the work you are doing on
this. I wish I could do a quarter as much, but poor and in retirement, I
have to spend the better part of my daily efforts on hand-on
self-sufficiency to control the budget. Added kudos for getting us out

Thanks a lot for the kind words, really! Everyone does what she or he can, and I am proud to be working with such a wonderful team and community.

I did notice you mentioned translation, but from/to what languages? My
first language is English, second French (a mix of Quebecois and various
other dialects) and third, to a lesser degree, Spanish.

What I was referring to was the multilang functionality of the wiki, helping to provide pages in various languages. We currently do so on several pages, especially on help.libreoffice.org. In the future, I also plan to provide localized wikis for each language which helps in refining e.g. wiki searches, but for the moment, I think the current wiki does a good job.

With this background, what I might be able to do, I fear might also have
a hard time fitting into a large environment such as the documentation
group for Libre Office. However, rather than walking away from it, let
me ask you if you think this would be as big a problem as I may be
imagining?

I think we're a wonderfully inclusive community, and there's a place for everyone here at LibreOffice. We have people with many different skills, languages, areas of interests, and it all flies so very well together, so - why don't you give it a try? ;-)

Which is your main area of interest? Localization, documentation?

By the way, Montreal has been proposed as one of the locations for the LibreOffice Conference 2013. Elections will end early February, so there's a 50% chance that the next major conference will be hosted in Canada. :-)

Florian