Mas

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Mas <tier3support@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
If you do click on "this page" you arrive at
http://www.libreoffice.org/download-more/

I think this page needs URGENT updating... Not only it says that the
previous (and buggy) version 3.6.0 is "Our latest, feature rich version"
which obviously is not true, but also that version 3.5.5 is the "Previous
version" (although there is a link to version 3.5.6 further down...)

Obviously this is none of my business, but I'm sure TDF can do better than
this at promoting this office suite...
"

Mas

<snip>

3.6.1 and 3.5.6 now are shown on the "download-more" page.

BUT, instead of "Previous version" for 3.5.6, how about "Current Version of the 3.5.x line, and a good version for the non-cutting edge users". The way the bugs are right now for 3.6.1, it may be called the "bleeding-edge" version and not the cutting-edge one.

3.5.6 is the current version of that line and should not be called "Previous version", since it is not a previous version for 3.6.1. 3.6.0 is the previous version of that line. "Some people" may think we jumped from 3.5.6 to 3.6.1 and skipped the rest. That is how it seems to read as.

How many people would recommend 3.6.1 for their business users, or those who cannot afford to have any bugs causing problems with their work-cycle? I would not. I wait till the .3 or .4 version, just like the image

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibOReleaseLifecycle.png

shows. That image calls 3.6.0 - 3.6.2 or 3.6.3 as "Early Adopter Versions". So the download pages should reflect the information in that release plan image.

We should call 3.6.1 / 3.6.2 / 3.6.3 something like "Current Version for Early Adopters". Then make 3.5.6 / 3.5.7 something like "Recommended Version for all other users".

Can we possibly give our users the text that reflects the information in the Release Plan page? Or are we going to say one thing on that page and another thing on the download page[s]?

----

3.6.4 comes out in December. When would you say we should call "End-Of-Life" for 3.5.7? I would like to have an idea on when I should really push "my users" to go from the 3.5.x line to 3.6.x line. I am using 3.5.6 and then 3.5.7 till 3.6.4 or 3.6.5 comes out. But many users will want to stick with their current version [3.5.4 to 3.5.6 right now] of LO. 3.5.4 is the version that I started pushing the 3.5.x line to "my users". 3.6.3 or 3.6.4 will be the first version that I will start distributing the NA-DVD for the 3.6.x line.